Recipe & Food ideas from our kitchen...

Monday, March 7, 2011

Persian Style Chicken...

 I did lift this straight from a post I did on Simple Savings... Tasted so good I wanted to include it with Pictures...


Persian style Chook...
Spice blend
1tsp each of Cardamom pods, Coriander seeds, ground Cumin, ground Nutmeg, ground Cinnamon
2tsp of Sesame seeds
1/2tspof black pepper
3 Star Anise
5 Cloves

Whiz up the above in a small processor... I use a little "Rocket" blender...
Other Bits...
2Tbsp butter
2Tbsp Rice bran oil
1/2Tbsp Frozen Ginger
1Tbsp Frozen Turmeric
1Tbsp minced Garlic
1 large Onion, diced into large pieces
500g diced Chook
2 x 400g tins of diced Tomatoes
1 x 400g tin Chickpeas


- I heated the oil in a Med size enamel Casserole pot then fried the spice blend, Ginger, Turmeric & garlic for about a minute & a half then added the onions.
-Once the onions turned translucent the chicken was added.
-When the chicken was sealed the 2 tins of diced Tomatoes & the tin of Chickpeas was added, brought to the boil then left to simmer.
-Let it simmer for about 1/2 an hour then serve on Sultana & Sesame seed Couscous...


Sultana & Cashew Couscous...
3/4 cup Chicken stock... will make ours up with stock powder
3/4 cup of Couscous
1/3 cup of Sultanas
1/3cup of Cashews
-Pour ¾ cup of boiling water into a bowl & stir through 1 heaped teaspoon of Chooken stock, add the Sultanas & couscous then stir... Let sit until all the liquid has been absorbed then stir through Cashews...

The Sultanas could of been a tad plumper me thinks...
Next time I think I will let the Sultanas soak for a few min's in some hot water before adding them in with the stock & Couscous...


: )»

2 comments:

  1. Both of these sound pretty interesting. I generally avoid middle-eastern cooking because most of what I've ever tried was pretty bland, but these sound very good, especially the couscous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slithered dried Apricots would taste great in the Couscous as well me thinks...
    Hope you enjoy it if you try it...

    ReplyDelete