Recipe & Food ideas from our kitchen...

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Thai Satay Chicken strips...

Have had a few problems trying to find the frozen spice roots that we  vacuum sealed & stored in the freezer from last years crops... While trying to dig the Turmeric & Galangal out today I was assaulted by 4 rounds of frozen Brie & a small container of frozen lemon cubes... I decided something had to give... I pulled out the Turmeric, Ginger & the mini processor then away I whizzed... Going from left to right there is Galangal, Turmeric & Ginger.... It will make it a lot easier when it comes to cooking... I figure that 1 Dessert spoon = 1 cm of whole root...
I don't know about freeing up much space as I was still assaulted by a round of Brie when I was getting some meat out for tomorrow night..

On to tonight's meal... I am not going to post every nights meals just ones I like & I can see a future for this or a recipe very similar in my coming menus... I don't think it really needed the sauce & could of stood alone quite proudly on the plate...
 It was based on this recipe with a few alterations...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBKxWpzwYw0

Thai Satay Chooken strips

3 Chicken breasts cut into strips lengthways
Marinade
2Tbsp of grated Galangal
2Tbsp of grated Turmeric (1Tbs of powdered)
5cm of Lemongrass stalk end, chopped finely
1Tbsp pan fried Coriander seed (1 tsp of powdered would do I think)
2tsp ground Cumin
½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp raw Sugar
200ml Coconut cream (was ½ a can, other ½ to be used in sauce)
Pepper to taste
- I mashed the Galangal, Turmeric, Lemongrass & Coriander together in a Mortar (Next time I will do it in a mini processor)
- Add the rest of the ingredients & mix well for a few minutes, add pepper to taste
- Add to Chicken strips & refrigerate for half an hour minimum... (Ours were in the fridge for 2 ½ hours...)

Marinated strips can be skewered if desired but I cooked them without on a frypan brushing on marinade in between turning the strips...

Satay Sauce
½ cup roasted peanuts, chopped
1 Tbsp heaped Crunchy peanut butter
2Tbsp Red Thai Curry paste (1 more will be added after the kids have been served for B☼ & I)
200ml Coconut cream
1Tbsp raw Sugar
1Tbsp Fish sauce
1Tbsp Soy sauce

- Add Coconut cream, paste, Peanut butter & nuts to a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, add remaining ingredients & reduce to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve over Chooken strips, skewers...

The sauce went great with the nice crunchy salad as well but I have
had better ones made by B☼ so might find out her secret for next time...



RB

No comments:

Post a Comment