Thai style Tom Kha Gai (galangal & chicken soup)..
A mate put me onto this recipe (Cheers Sir) & seeing as we had a lot of the herbs/spices needed growing in the patch it was worth a crack I thought.. Normally the only veggie/fungus added is mushrooms from what I have seen but I decided to add some other greens instead as they were ready to harvest..
Ingredients...2 x 400ml tins coconut cream/milk (I like to use cream)
15 thin slices of fresh galangal root (75mm/3" piece)
1 large or 2 small stalks of lemongrass, bruised & cut into 40mm/1½" pieces.
5 kaffir lime leaves, torn into thirds
4 chicken thighs, diced into 10mm/½" pieces
2 tbsp fish sauce
1½ tbsp lime juice
½ tbsp palm/rapadura/Panela sugar
2 Chillies, diced finely3/4 cup of raw jasmine rice, cooked..
My extra additions were,
1 small zucchini/courgette, sliced thinly
8 snake bean, cut into 25mm/1" lengths
Full handful of chopped greens per person..
- Place coconut cream/milk, water, lemongrass, galangal & kaffir leaves into saucepan & bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 15 min.
- Add chicken, simmer for another 15 min & start to cook rice.
- Remove soup from heat, add fish sauce, lime juice, sugar & chillies to soup, mix, then tweak as needed.
- The galangal, lemongrass & lime leaves can be removed now or left in to be eaten around as they are rather tough to eat.
- Add leafy greens to bowl then top with cooked rice.
- Add beans, zucchini then soup to bowl & serve...
Veggies came out nice & crunchy, just the way I like it.. This meal will definitely get a spin on the menu again as it was mild enough for the whole family to devour yet the chilli added at the end gave a nice little kick for Bianca & I..
Hope you like it if you try it...
Post a Comment